Big Bear Lake State Forest Campground of Otsego County, Michigan
Otsego County - 1.5 miles SW of Vienna Corners via Principal Meridian Road and Little Bear Lake Road.
Phone Number: (989) 732-3541
Entrance Fee: $0
Motor Vehicle Permit Required: No
Approximate Size: 0 (Acres)
Camping fee per night - $10.00
Phone number indicated above is for the Gaylord Management Unit. Sites available on a first-come, first-serve basis. No reservations. 30 sites on the sandy north shore of Big Bear Lake and on Big Bear Point for tent and small trailer use. 11 sites can accommodate 40-ft trailer/vehicle. Hiking and biking on Big Bear Lake Pathway. Rustic campground includes vault toilets and potable water from well hand pump.
- Designated Watchable Wildlife Site - Deward Tract is a pristine stretch of the Upper Manistee River abundant in deer, raccoon, frogs, turtles, trout, kingfishers, wild turkey, woodland songbirds, and other wildlife (30 miles SW).
- Fishing - Big Bear Lake (on site): Panfish, Pike, Musky. Gaylanta Lake (4.5 miles NE): Panfish and Pike. Twin Lakes, East and West (6.5 miles SE): Panfish, Pike and Walleye.
- Biking - Big Bear Lake (trail head at campground): 2.2 miles long in two loops, flat to rolling terrain.
- Hiking - Big Bear Lake (trail head at campground): 2.2 miles long in two loops, flat to rolling terrain, Buttles Road (6 miles SE, access from Buttles Road): 7 miles long in three loops, flat to rolling terrain, hike and bike.
- Boating Access Site/Launch - Access for boating and fishing. Big Bear Lake: Ramp at campground. Gaylanta Lake: South end of lake. Twin Lakes: West end of West Twin Lake, NE end of East Twin Lake.
- Other - Big Bear Trail (1.5 miles East): 14.5 miles of cycle/ATV trail, connects to Crapo Creek Trail.
Crapo Creek Trail (2 miles West): 18 miles of cycle/ATV trail.
Return to Otsego County, MI Trails Page
Permission and information sources are from Contributers to this Web Site, the Department of Natural Resources, Michigan.gov, National Park Service,
and the USDA Forest Service.