Silver Lake State Park of Oceana County, Michigan
Follow signs W. from US 31 at either the Hart or Shelby exit.
9679 W. State Park Road
Mears MI 49436
Phone Number: (231) 873-3083
TTY/TDD711 (Michigan Relay Center)
Motor Vehicle Permit Required: Yes
Approximate Size: 2936 (Acres)
Make a Reservation at this Park
Silver Lake State Park is an almost 3,000-acre park in Oceana County along the Lake Michigan shoreline. This area includes both dune country and acres of mature forest. The dune ridges and valleys are mostly windblown sand and lack trees, scrub brush and dune grass. The dune area is sometimes compared to a desert. Silver Lake State Park contains more than four miles of Lake Michigan shoreline and boasts a large sandy beach.
In 1919, Carrie E. Mears donated 25 acres of land for park purposes. The park's boundary was dedicated in 1951 and a master plan was officially approved in 1964. Now, nearly 2,000 acres of sand dunes are available for exploration and hiking. One of the park's biggest draws is the 450-acre off-road vehicle area. But, because of the high demand, it requires a special set of rules. Please review rules and regulations of ORV use in the state of Michigan and the more specific requirements of using an ORV/ATV in Silver Lake State Park before participating in this activity.
- Michigan State Park Explorer Program - Learn more about the natural features and resources located in this park with the Outdoor Explorer Program.
- Hunting - Hunting in the 1,000 acres of mature hardwoods and in an additional 1,000 acres of dunes is allowed during regular seasons. Common game includes squirrel, grouse, rabbit, and whitetailed deer.
- Beach House - Provides clothes-changing area for swimmers.
- Fishing - Silver Lake is an excellent lake for boaters and anglers. Panfish, walleye, northern pike, crappie and bass are the common species that are caught in the lake. The lake is a good place for pleasure boating and water sports as well. Ice fishing on Silver Lake is a very popular winter activity. Walleye, northern pike and crappie are all commonly caught in the winter.
- Picnic Area - Picnic tables and fire pits/grills
- Picnic Shelter(s) - For reservations contact the park at (231)873-3083.
- Alcohol Restrictions Apply - Alcohol is prohibited in the entire park from May 15 to June 10.
- Boating Access Site/Launch - Access for boating and fishing.
- Lighthouse - The Little Sable Point Lighthouse is a short drive from the campground.
- Off-Road Vehicle Trails/Routes
- As the only state park that allows off-road and all-terrain vehicles, Silver Lake State Park has special rules to ensure that people enjoy this recreation activity safely. Please visit the Silver Lake State Park ORV Information page to learn more about ORV/ATV use at this park. Also contact the concessions provider at 231-873-2817 for more information.
- Rides are also available with Mac Wood's Dune Rides for a fee. Group rates are available. Visit the web site or call 231-873-2817 for hours, current prices and additional information.
- Metal Detecting Areas - Metal detecting is recognized as a legitimate recreation activity when it is conducted in ways that do not damage the natural and cultural resources in Michigan State Parks nor violate applicable state statutes. If you wish to use a metal detector in this state park, here is a map that shows clearly where this activity may take place. Any items found must be reviewed by park staff and may be retained for further investigation.
Mac Wood's Dune Rides, miniature golf, boat and bicycle rentals, canoeing, golfing, area shopping and sight-seeing are all popular activities in the Silver Lake vicinity. For additional things to do and see, please visit the Silver Lake Chamber of Commerce or the Silver Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Return to Oceana County, MI Trails Page
Permission and information sources are from Contributers to this Web Site, the Department of Natural Resources, Michigan.gov, National Park Service,
and the USDA Forest Service.