Pinckney State Recreation Area of Washtenaw and Livingston County, Michigan
Over 30 miles long with 6 loops ranging in size from 1.5 to 17.5 miles.
US 23 to exit 49 (N. Territorial Rd.) Go W. to HQ and Silver L., go 11 miles and turn right on Dexter- Townhall Rd.
To Bruin L., go 14 miles and turn right on Hadley Rd., right on Kaiser.
- Pinckney-Silver Lake Trail - 2 (Miles), Hiking, Mountain Biking, Cross Country Ski
- Pinckney-Crooked Lake Trail - 5 (Miles), Hiking, Mountain Biking, Cross Country Ski
- Pinckney-Potawatomi Trail - 17 (Miles), Hiking, Mountain Biking, Cross Country Ski, Walk-in Sites
- Pinckney-Waterloo Trail - 35 (Miles), Hiking, Cross Country Ski
- Pinckney-Equestrian Trails - 8 (Miles), Equestrian
- Pinckney-Losee Lake Trail - 3.3 (Miles), Hiking
8555 Silver Hill Road
Pinckney MI 48169
Phone Number: (734) 426-4913
TTY/TDD711 (Michigan Relay Center)
Motor Vehicle Permit Required: Yes
Approximate Size: 11000 (Acres)
Make a Reservation at this Park
Ski trail is not groomed.
Pinckney Recreation Area provides over 11,000 acres with a wide variety of activities for the park visitor in its three major use areas: Silver Lake Day Use area, Bruin Lake Modern Campground and the Halfmoon Day Use facility. The landscape, a terminal moraine area, was formed during the last glaciation period.
- Michigan State Park Explorer Program - Learn more about the natural features and resources located in this park with the Outdoor Explorer Program.
- Hunting - The majority of the recreation area is open to hunting according to the various seasons, except for safety zones around the developed day use areas, campgrounds and office areas. There are seasonal restrictions on shooting from April 1 to September 14. Target shooting is prohibited at any time or place.
- Designated Watchable Wildlife Site - The Wildlife Viewing Guide is now on line at www.michigan.gov/miwildlifeviewing
- Beach House - Provides clothes-changing area for swimmers.
- Swimming - Half Moon Lake Beach Information. Bruin Lake Beach Information. Silver Lake Beach Information. Bruin Lake beach is open only to campers.
- Fishing - Pier fishing is available at Silver Lake and Crooked Lake. Shore fishing is available at Silver Lake.
- Canoe/Kayak Rental - Boat rentals are available at Silver Lake from Memorial Day to Labor Day for row boats, canoes, paddle boats, kayaks and your-motor-on boats for fishing. Reservations are available by calling 734-426-4913.
- Picnic Area - Picnic tables and fire pits/grills. Concessions, boat rentals, a trail system, seasonal modern toilet facilities, playground, volleyball courts, horseshoe pits and a fishing pier are available at Silver Lake beach and picnic area. A boat launch, picnic shelters, trail access, volleyball court, horseshoe pits, and playground are available at Halfmoon Lake beach and picnic area.
- Picnic Shelter(s) - Two picnic shelters are available at Half Moon Lake. For reservations please call the park office at (743) 426-4913.
- Alcohol Restrictions Apply - Alcohol is prohibited from April 1 through September 30 without the written authorization of the park manager at the Silver Lake and Halfmoon units. The Pickerel Lake Boat Launch has an alcohol ban year round.
- Hiking - An extensive trail system is available to the hiker and mountain biker. The trails all begin at Silver Lake Beach. Trailside camping is available within designated campgrounds. Please contact the park office for registration information before you camp.
- Bridle Trails - Trails may have other designated uses.
- Mountain Biking - An extensive trail system is available to the hiker and mountain biker.
- Snowmobile Area - Allowed with 4" of snow or more on the ground. Snowmobiling is allowed within designated areas when 4 inches of snow or more are on the ground. Hiking trails are closed to snowmobiling.
- Boating Access Site/Launch - Access for boating and fishing. Boaters and anglers will find great opportunities on the many lakes throughout the recreation area. There are improved boat launches on Bruin, Halfmoon, South, North, Joslin and Portage lakes. Unimproved ramps are located on, Crooked, Gosling, and Hiland Lakes. There are hand-carry access sites onto Sullivan Lake and Pickerel Lake. The chain of seven lakes can be accessed from Bruin and Halfmoon.
- Concession/Store - Concession is located in the Silver Lake day use area.
- Cross Country Ski
- Metal Detecting Areas - Metal detecting is recognized as a legitimate recreation activity when it is conducted in ways that do not damage the natural and cultural resources in Michigan State Parks nor violate applicable state statutes. If you wish to use a metal detector in this state park, here is a map that shows clearly where this activity may take place. Any items found must be reviewed by park staff and may be retained for further investigation.
Return to Washtenaw County, MI Trails Page
Return to Livingston County, MI Trails Page
Permission and information sources are from Contributers to this Web Site, the Department of Natural Resources, Michigan.gov, National Park Service,
and the USDA Forest Service.