Seven Bridges of Kalkaska County, Michigan
1 mile long.
Seven Bridges is best known for its rustic wooden bridges built at various sites cross the Rapid River and its adjacent tributaries. Rapid River is a blue ribbon trout stream and the Seven Bridges area has over one mile of river frontage. In 1882 a sawmill was built which dammed the river at Seven Bridges creating a holding pond for logs. Today the remains of the dam can still be seen when crossing the first three bridges. Since 1998, Seven Bridges has been owned by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources with the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy being its primary caretaker. With help from the Kingsley Correctional Facility, the State replaced walkways and four of the bridges. Only four bridges exist today.
Return to Kalkaska County, MI Trails Page
Permission and information sources are from Contributers to this Web Site, the Department of Natural Resources, Michigan.gov, National Park Service,
and the USDA Forest Service.