Young State Park of Charlevoix County, Michigan
7.5 miles long.
US 131 to Boyne Falls, M-75 to Boyne City, N.W. on C56 to Park Entrance.
02280 Boyne City Road
Boyne City MI 49712
Phone Number: (231) 582-7523
TTY/TDD711 (Michigan Relay Center)
Motor Vehicle Permit Required: Yes
Approximate Size: 563 (Acres)
Make a Reservation at this Park
Young State Park is located at the east end of beautiful Lake Charlevoix. The park spans over 560 acres in Charlevoix County and is a mix of gently rolling terrain, lowlands and cedar swamp. Young State Park officially opened in 1921. The park concession located at the beach was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's. The park concession now rents canoes, kayaks, and camping equipment and features gourmet coffees and homemade baked goods along with many other items needed by campers and beach goers.
- Michigan State Park Explorer Program - Learn more about the natural features and resources located in this park with the Outdoor Explorer Program.
- Playground - These play areas offer a variety of playground equipment for children.
- Beach House - Provides clothes-changing area for swimmers.
- Swimming - Lake Charlevoix Beach
- Fishing - Lake Charlevoix is stocked annually with rainbow, brown, and lake trout. Mirror Pond provides a good fishing site for children. The pond is stocked with sunfish and rock bass.
- Picnic Area - Picnic tables and fire pits/grills. There is plenty of day use parking for trailers and cars near the large, sandy beach on Lake Charlevoix. Overlooking the beach and grassy picnic area is a classic log building, which houses a concession store.
- Hiking - There are nearly five miles of nature trails that are perfect for hiking, jogging, and nature study in the park.
- Boating Access Site/Launch - Access for boating and fishing. Lake Charlevoix is 17,260 acres and has depths up to 122 feet. It is great for sailing, power-boating, water-skiing, and fishing. The lake offers access to Lake Michigan as well. There is a boat launch within the park for boats under 16 feet in length.
- Cross Country - Cross-country skiing is a very popular winter activity. The trailhead is located across the road from the park's headquarters off Boyne City Road. Trails are groomed.
- Metal Detecting Areas - Metal detecting is recognized as a legitimate recreation activity when it is conducted in ways that do not damage the natural and cultural resources in Michigan State Parks nor violate applicable state statutes. If you wish to use a metal detector in this state park, here is a map that shows clearly where this activity may take place. Any items found must be reviewed by park staff and may be retained for further investigation.
Return to Charlevoix County, MI Trails Page
Permission and information sources are from Contributers to this Web Site, the Department of Natural Resources, Michigan.gov, National Park Service,
and the USDA Forest Service.